- CMS has worked with 68 International and National partners to execute over 50 projects in the last year (2013-14).
- Motor Vehicles Act: Has All Been Said Yet? National Media Workshop on Road Safety Legislation was organized by CMS Advocacy on July 11, 2013 at Constitution Club of India, New Delhi
- Plan India National Consultation on School WASH was organized by CMS Advocacy on July 17, 2013, at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi
- CMS Academy organized a Symposium on NEWS Media Education in India on August 19, 2013, at India International Centre to bring together the key stakeholders of Indian NEWS media and to discuss the challenges and opportunities in the emerging media ecosystem. It was inaugurated by Shri Manish Tewari, Minister of Information & Broadcasting and was attended by media professionals, academia and civil society from across the country. The day-long symposium had 3 Panel Discussions and 5 Simultaneous Moderated Group Discussions The symposium discussed the challenges and opportunities in the news media education sector and an action agenda was laid out.
- A two-day workshop on Innovative Interventions for Change: Positive Deviance and Liberating Structures was organized by CMS Academy from August 20-21, 2013 at Sanskriti Kendra. The workshop was facilitated by Dr. Arvind Singhal, University of Texas. This workshop was attended by scholars and professionals from academics, social sectors, advertising and marketing research.
- Plan India National Workshop on Improving Quality of Life of Children was organized by CMS Advocacy on August 27, 2013 India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- A four-day long CMS VATAVARAN Nomination Jury Meeting was held at ISID, Vasant Kunj from Aug 27-30, 2013 to shortlist from 541 film entries. With this, the second stage of selection was successfully completed. 31 members from NCR, Coimbatore, Bangalore, Mumbai, Raipur, Puducherry, Chennai, Dehradun and Chandigarh participated in the process. The jury was chaired by Mr Srinivasan Iyer, Assistant Country Director and Head, Energy and Environment Unit, UNDP India.
- CMS provided institutional support for the proposal entitled "Mapping of Media Ownership and Concentration in India and Calculation of Company Power Index of 12 Major Media Common Ownership Units (2000-2012)", led by Dr. Anuradha Bhattacharjee for ICSSR. This one-year project was implemented in September 2013.
- The Shri Ram School (TSRS), Aravali, in association with CMS VATAVARAN hosted the 3rd Shri CMS VATAVARAN Film Festival at the TSRS school auditorium in Aravali, Haryana, on October 9, 2013. The Guest of Honour was Ms. Belinda Wright, founder and Executive Director of the Wildlife Protection Society of India. NCR school children watched award-winning environment films and their own one-minute films entered in an inter-school film-making competition. Twenty eight entries were received from the students of The Shri Ram School Aravali, The Shri Ram School Moulsari, The Shri Ram Millenium School Noida, Amity International School Sector, Scottish High School Gurgaon, DPS International School and SRS Bhiwani. 2 films - 'Gaur in My Garden' by Rita Banerji and 'Timbaktu' by Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, were screened followed by an interactive open forum with the students.
- CMS Advocacy organized 'Media Workshop on Road Safety and Public Health' on October 29, 2013, at Visakhapatnam with support from WHO. The workshop comprised of 3 panels, namely Road Safety and Public Health, Road Safety and Media and Road Safety and Enforcement. Panelists included experts from the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Global Road Safety Partnership, Indian Institute of Public Health in Hyderabad, police officials from Hyderabad and Visakhapatnam and Assistant Editors of prominent national dailies from New Delhi.
- CMS held a seminar on "The Role of Entertainment Mass Media in Changing Social Norms on Key Gender and Reproductive Health Issues: A Global Perspective", on October 30, 2013, at CMS office, Saket New Delhi, where Mr David Poindexter, Mr William Ryerson and Mr Shiv Khare were the speakers.
- The film festival aptly titled 'Celebrating 10 Years of CMS VATAVARAN' was initiated by CMS VATAVARN team as part of the series of award-winning film screenings across NCR. To commemorate its decade-long journey, the CMS VATAVARAN team organized a special film festival throughout the months of October, November and December 2013. As part of this event, Nominated Films were screened at The CMS office premises at the Research House, Saket, New Delhi.
- The 5th edition of the UNICEF Awards for Children-Related Programmes in Telugu Television Channels was launched with a Media Symposium on July 31, 2013 in Hyderabad. About 26 eminent media professionals representing Telugu news and general entertainment channels participated in this Symposium. The eminent speakers included Jury Chairperson Padma Shri Dr. Shantha Sinha, Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Hyderabad, Jury members Prof. Padmaja Shaw, Professor of Communication and Journalism, Osmania University, Mr. R. V. V. Krishna Rao, Veteran Journalist, and Ms. Shyama Sundari, Joint Director, Department of Women Development and Child Welfare, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Noted child rights supporter and founder of Blue Cross of Hyderabad, Ms. Amala Akkineni was the Chief Guest.
- The 5th UNICEF Awards for Children-Related programmes in Telugu television channels were presented at a special ceremony in Hyderabad on December 10, 2013. Twelve awards in diverse categories, including the highest "UNICEF Awards for Channel Most Committed to Children" were presented on this occasion. Hon'ble Speaker AP Assembly Mr. Nadendla Manohar was the Chief Guest of the event. Ms. Amala Akkineni, Child Rights Supporter and Founder of Blue Cross of Hyderabad graced the occasion as Special Invitee while National Award winning Telugu Filmmaker Mr. Sekhar Kammula was the Guest of Honour.
- The Award Jury Meeting of the 7th CMS VATAVARAN: Environment & Wildlife Film Festival and Forum was held from Dec 18 -20, 2013, at the ITC Maurya, New Delhi. Eminent film maker, actor and producer, Shri Amol Palekar, headed the list of eminent jurists for the coveted 7th CMS VATAVARAN Indian Awards. Mr Ramesh Sharma, award winning filmmaker, chaired the Jury for International Awards. The Jury comprised of 13 eminent personalities from widely divergent sectors and streams representing environment, wildlife, film, media and communication.
- 10 Yrs of CMS VATAVARAN Film Festival was celebrated in the following schools and colleges across Delhi.
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication (AIMC)-Nov 12, 2013
- Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) - Dec 05, 2013
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) - Dec 06,2013
- Miranda House - Dec 15, 2013
- Bal Bharati Public School - Dec 16, 2013
- Bloom Public School - Dec 18, 2013
- Sri Venkateshwar International School, Dwarka-Dec20&21,2013
- The CMS Advocacy team recently supported India's prominent daily, Hindustan Times, to run a week-long campaign on Road Safety during the National Road Safety Week from January 11 to 17, 2014. CMS provided research support to the newspaper. This media engagement resulted in 7 five-column articles, each focusing on specific road safety issues and public health issues like drink-driving, speed, helmets, driving by minors, pedestrian safety and public transport.
The articles were widely appreciated by WHO and other organizations working on road safety issues. It was shared globally by WHO as an ideal media advocacy campaign on the issue.
- 7th CMS VATAVARAN - Environment & Wildlife Film Festival and Forum held at the IGNCA Lawns, New Delhi, India from Jan 30 - Feb 03, 2014, featured around 112 films and more than 100 eminent speakers in 70 thematic sessions and expert discussions in six specially curated lawns.
- DAM 999, the debut direction venture of Sohan Roy, which pays a tribute to the 1975 Banqiao Dam disaster in China that claimed 250,000 innocent lives', was screened, on February 14, 2014, at Research House, Saket, New Delhi.
- CMS has worked with 162 International and National partners to execute over 500 projects in two decades.
- CMS operationalised its state of the art campus in sector 106 Institutional area NOIDA. The beautifully designed campus has 35000 sq ft build up area in a one and a half acres land. Ms P N Vasanti and Mr Regi V John were directly involved in designing, construction and operationalising this campus.
- CMS has signed MOU’s with International partners like Annenberg School for Communication University of Southern California, USA; Stirling University, Scotland; InHolland University, Netherlands; Ohio University, USA and Academy for Educational Development (AED), Washington USA to do innovative research and capacity building projects.
- CMS has advocated on critical themes like girl child education, female foeticide, education reforms, media regulation issues, environment conservation, disability, Right to Information, Social Audit, Entertainment Education, Corruption and Transparency to promote equitable development and responsive governance in the country.
- CMS has constituted an Institutional Review Board (CMS-IRB), registered in the Division of the Assurance and Quality Improvement of the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), USA, to give technical support to research organisations towards maintaining the ethical standards in research on human subject. CMS is also registered to give Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) for the Protection of Human Subjects for International (Non-U.S.) Institutions.
- CMS has pioneered India Corruption Studies that annually tracks and studies leakages and petty corruption faced by common citizens, specially the poor. These studies are unique for the PEE model (Perception Experience Estimation model) and are widely quoted/ used by media, government and civil society.
- CMS activities featured in 486 articles published in the country’s leading National and Regional newspapers during 2007-11. National Newspapers that covered CMS activities includes 25 leading print media houses like The Times of India, Indian Express, The Hindu, The Hindustan Times, The Mint, The Business Standard, The Pioneer etc. CMS operationalised its state of the art campus spread over an area of 1.5 acres in sector 106, Institutional Area, Noida. The beautifully designed campus has a built-up area of 35,000 sq ft. CMS initiatives were widely covered in 68 Regional Newspapers like, Dainik Bhaskar, Dainik Jagran, Eenadu, Andhra Jyoti, Sakshi etc.
- CMS has initiated several innovative Corporate and Media engagements like CMS Vatavaran, HSBC World Environment Week and Disney Volunteer Programme to ensure public-private partnership is strengthened in development activities of the country.
- Mr. Alok Srivastava, Team Leader, CMS Social is a member of International Development Evaluation Association (IDEAS) since 2008
- Mr. Alok Srivastava, Team Leader, CMS Social has presented papers and attended meetings in Canada, Nepal, Afghanistan, Philippines, South Africa and Jordan on development evaluation and e-governance.
- CMS Social conducted an evaluation of UNIFEM’s Regional Home Based Workers Programme in South Asia covering India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- CMS Social team has developed a unique scorecard known as the Poverty Index Tool. The tool is user-friendly and could be replicated in other development projects aiming at inclusion of poor families.
- One of the first-of-its kinds of study undertaken by CMS Social was to assess the socio-economic status of Mahadalits. This study will help to formulate strategy for social and economic empowerment of the Mahadalits.
- In education sector, CMS Social team is amongst the first organisation in India to study the implementation process of 25 percent reservation for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) families under the Right to Education (RTE) Act 2009 in Delhi. The study will help the policy makers to take corrective measures in the implementation of RTE Act in the coming academic year.
- Ms. Paramita Dasgupta, Team Leader CMS Communication, conducted a session on ‘Most Significant Change Technique’ among the participants of 8 countries across the world during the United Nations Trust Fund Programme and Evaluation Design Workshop to End Violence against Women at Mexico in August 2008.
- Ms. Paramita Dasgupta, Team Leader CMS Communication, presented the ‘Formative Research’ findings as a part of the Designing and Implementing an Impact Evaluation of ‘Safe Cities New Delhi Project’ (Phase II) at Cairo for UN Women, July 2011.
- CMS Communication has signed a long term association contract (LTA) with UNICEF to pre-test any development communication material and to conductely rounds of Effectiveness Surveys for ‘Meena Ki Duniya’. The former gives CMS an opportunity to work on Govt. of India Campaigns on Age of marriage, Salt iodisation, Safe water, HINI, Polio Ravivaar, Hand Washing with soap and Men using toilet etc.
- Ms. Alka Tomar, Team Leader, CMS Environment conducted research on communicating climate change in UK along with the University of Stirling, Scotland in July 2009. The research entailed focus group discussions with youth, academic and eminent journalists from the Guardian and the BBC. The study was part of the UKIERI support research study on Climate Change and Youth in India and the UK.
- Ms. Alka Tomar, Team Leader, CMS Environment participated in one of the premier wildlife film festivals in the world, Wildscreen 2010, Bristol, UK. The visit in Oct 2010 helped in forging collaborations and networking with commissioning editors and natural history filmmakers.
- A survey conducted in early 2011 with filmmakers ranked CMS VATAVARAN amongst the top two environment and wildlife film festivals in the world. CMS VATAVARAN is a pioneering enterprise initiated by CMS Environment team in 2002 to encourage environment films and forums that result in perception, practice and policy change. CMS VATAVARAN was also nominated for WANGO (World Association of Non-Governmental Organisations) Environment Awards, 2008.
- The research findings of CMS Environment team on knowledge, attitude and practice of Delhiites towards the Yamuna river has led to a mobilisation strategy for reaching out to all segments of the society in NCR. The recommendations and the study insights provided base for developing “River Health Index” by Ford Foundation.
- The Jalmani programme in which the water quality was tested in rural schools was a first-of-its-kind study CMS Environment team conducted for UNICEF.
- The evaluation of the huge Rs 400-crore Nirmal Gram Puraskar underscored the CMS Environment expertise in evaluating such a big and prestigious scheme.
- CMS has the distinction of setting up, the first Media Lab in India that studies trends in both electronic and print media along with developing strategies, which meet the needs of the media world.
- Mr. Prabhakar Kumar, Coordinator, CMS Media Lab is a standing member of the Scrutiny Committee that reviews the violations of television channels recorded by the Electronic Media Monitoring Centre (EMMC) under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- CMS Academy partnered with the Public Diplomacy division of the Ministry of External Affairs to organise the first ever conference on “Public Diplomacy in the Information Age” in New Delhi in 2010.
- CMS has brought out over 100 publications including monographs, reports, directories and books based on its research findings on issues of national concern. These are being digitised to be made available through CMS Cart, a new e-commerce initiative dedicated to the sale of products and services of CMS and its partners. (www.cmscart.in)
|Dr. N. Bhaskara Rao|
|Ms. P. N. Vasanti|